Friday, June 8, 2012

My Seniors Graduated!

Tonight was the night of Sherando's graduation of a very special class, class of 2012. My seniors graduated tonight. And now I am officially a senior in high school. 

I was expecting to cry tonight and I almost did especially when the seniors walked out and that typical graduation song was playing. I used to think that the song sounded sad, but not as much anymore. There's something more to that song. It gave me a sense of hope and reassurance. Most of all though, it made me even prouder of my seniors. I'm not upset anymore and I'm not going to be sad about their graduation anymore or my own for that matter. One of the speeches actually made me reach that conclusion. 

The valedictorian speeches were really great and certainly met my expectations as I knew they would. Deepak's speech was really sweet and touching, with a bit of humor added in here and there. His speech made me feel both happy and sad. Strangely enough though, his speech wasn't the one that made me truly come to terms; although, he is the person who has taught me how to move on.  

It was Abhinav's speech that made me understand. There was so much truth behind his words. He said something like, "Don't let high school be the peak of your life." After I heard Abhinav say that, I whispered "thank you Abhinav" because I needed to hear that. High school is fun but there's more in life to look forward to, that's what Abhinav made me realize. I want to look back on my high school years in the future and be happy but I don't want them to be my only happy years. Don't worry Deepak (Tomy), I still liked your speech better because there was more warmth to it.

I'm glad I got the chance to see the seniors that I really wanted to see. Right after the ceremony ended, I only had a few seniors on my mind that I had to see. When I got onto the field, I didn't know where to go. And then I saw Elizabeth. I got a picture with Elizabeth and Andy, separately of course. I hugged both of them, Holly, and Deepak (Tomy); and said congratulations to all of them and Abhinav. I called Deepak (Tomy) a jerk a few times, but I meant it lovingly and he better know that. I was really happy that I was able to catch Andy tonight. I was afraid that I wouldn't. It was really hard to find him...and it was really hard to find Haley. You'd think that finding a ginger would be easy, but it's not when you have a big crowd and she's nowhere in that crowd. Even Taylor couldn't find her. 

Now, I wait for my turn. I wait to take my final walk through Sherando and say goodbye. I wait to hear my name being called...and probably pronounced wrong. I wait to receive my diploma. I wait to hug my friends and take pictures with them to remember our night. And I wait in anticipation to see what will come next, to see where I will go in life, and to see who I will become. Even after I graduate, I intend to come back to Sherando just to say hello to the teachers who made it worth my while. It's strange that I've made this realization a year earlier. I'm no longer sad or afraid. I owe that to the two wonderful valedictorians of the Class of 2012.

Congratulations Class of 2012. You're all amazing. I'm very fortunate to have known you guys. I know that you all have bright futures ahead of you. I can't wait to see what you accomplish. You will be missed dearly, fellow warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment