Monday, June 11, 2012

Brooklyn, NY

I miss it. A lot. I haven't been there in a while. I can't even remember the last time I was there. I usually go when I'm on breaks. It's summer now. I'm 99% sure that I won't be going this summer. I understand the reasons why I won't be able to go, but that doesn't mean that I accept them. Part of me grew up there and it would be a shame if I couldn't go back there while I'm still young.

Why do I love Brooklyn, New York so much? I have a few reasons for that. I have family living there, that's my major reason. It's strange to say but I like the way it feels, smells, and looks. Okay, maybe not the smell since I can't recall that. I can distinctly recall the smell of food cooking, does that count? 

I've always felt free in Brooklyn. I've never understood why though. My cousins and I always try to go to the park whenever I visit. It's nothing like the park near my house, it's bigger and has more playing equipment, but doesn't hold as many memories. One of my favorite things to do when I visit is go walking around outside late at night. Of course, I could never go walking by myself. There's way too many sketchy, creepy people wandering around at night. I have thought about it before and if I'm crazy enough I will do it someday. Someday, I'll walk those streets all by myself...and then with my fortune probably get jumped.

Whenever I visit Brooklyn, I almost always reach there late at night. I purposefully wake up if I happen to be sleeping or force myself to stay awake to see the lights. The brightness of the city at night still mesmerizes me. The sight of the tall buildings tells me that I'm home. Brooklyn is home away from home. I love it there. 

I think it's been about 10 years or so since I first went there. But it's been months since I've been. I want to go back soon. So many complications have come up making it harder and harder to go. But I want to go back. I want to breathe in that polluted air. I want to see my family. I want to stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning. I want to talk and play. I want to go to the library. I want to be free again.

1 comment:

  1. I agree; New York as a whole is such a free place. It feels like life in the form of a city.

    ReplyDelete