Sunday, June 17, 2012

Veer-Zaara

Out of all of the Bollywood movies I've seen, this is one of my favorites. Veer-Zaara is such a beautiful love story. It was definitely worth my tears; and I really enjoyed the songs, not just for the sound but for the meaning as well.

I'm not going to go in depth as to what the movie is about, but it was different from what I was expecting. It's still slightly typical since it involves a sudden blooming romance between an Indian guy and a Pakistani girl. Unlike other forbidden love stories, this one ended with the two lovers being together.

There was one aspect in particular that I really loved about this movie. It's a love story that occurs and lives on, without involving the partition. That's why I love this movie so much. It has nothing to do with the partition, it's all about love and how it shouldn't matter whether Veer is an Indian or Zaara is a Pakistani. It's not only a love story, but a story of acceptance. Both Veer and Zaara come to see each other's country as their own.

Although, I'm still bothered by the flaws present in the movie. The two lovers don't even have the same religion. Then again, love knows no religion. It felt more like Zaara drifted away from the religion she had because of love. Technically, her marriage would not be valid from a religious perspective...but this is just a movie, of course. Still, I wonder if something like this may have happened at one point in time.

Movies like this make me even more of a hopeless romantic. I'm not just going to happen upon a guy who likes me. We're not going to sing and dance in a field of flowers or anything like that. That brings me to this question: aren't there bees among the flowers? If you did that in real life, wouldn't you just get stung like crazy? Back to my point, I sometimes wish love worked like it does in certain movies. I don't know what it feels like to love someone or to have someone love me. I'm still too young to understand love. Perhaps when I'm older I'll understand. Okaaaayyyyyy, I'm done sounding like a teenage girl.  

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, the last paragraph made me laugh :P because it's true. the bugs would probably be disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, I loveeeee this movie. Especially the poem he reads at the end. I'm a hopeless romantic too. And gosh darnit, all men should behave like gentlemen and heros!! Or at least like Noah from the Notebook... Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete