Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Netflix Movies

I've been spending far too much time on Netflix watching romance movies. I'm a hopeless romantic, always have been and always will be. I'm starting to like movies more. I don't like watching them alone or so I thought. 

In the past three days, I've watched four movies. All four of them deal with romance in some way or another. I already dedicated an entire post to The Red Violin. I mentioned Songcatcher in my last post, where I was pissed off. Songcatcher was a nice movie; I like ballads a lot more now. It also rekindled my love of nature. 

Bride Flight was a nice movie also. Three Dutch brides-to-be meet this cowboy on an airplane to New Zealand. The cowboy is a special guy to all three of them because he changes their lives. It sort of got a bit steamy with the romance at one point, but I still liked the movie a lot because each girl faces their own set of pains and struggles. I have to say that I really liked how the cowboy, Frank, and one of the girls, Ada, stay in touch through letters. 

I just finished watching Partition. Now, this is a movie that I have every right to criticize. It takes place during the time period of the partition. Basically what happens is a Sikh soldier finds a Muslim girl, they fall in love, get married, have a child, the girl finds out her family is alive and she goes back to Pakistan, her family won't let her leave to go back to India to see her husband and son, her husband comes to get her, and when it seems like it's all going to end happily...he dies. Typical. There's no way that story would ever have had a happy ending anyway. Sorry for spoiling the whole movie but I doubt you were going to watch it anyway. It's like a Romeo and Juliet situation. Forbidden love never works out. Is there one story of forbidden love that ends happily? I'd really like to see one.

I didn't really like Partition that much. The only thing I liked about it is that I could feel the pain. I honestly don't know much of the history behind the partition but it still hurts. It hurts to think about because it was real. A few years after my father was born, the partition took place; yes, my father is, as most of you would say, an old man. Kind of irrelevant, but my family is from Lahore...so close to the border. I don't exactly have the right to say this, but the movie does hit home for me.

Out of the four movies I've watched, The Red Violin is still my favorite. This is really sad...I need to stop watching movies on Netflix. I need to get out of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment