Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pain

"You cause your own pain" - Deepak (Tomy)

When I heard those words in person, they were meant in a seemingly joking manner. Those words had originally made me laugh inside, but then I started to think about what they really meant. I somehow doubt that I was meant to see those words in a serious light, but I managed to.

When someone dies, no one tells us to feel sad, to feel hurt, to feel pained. It's natural to feel upset when someone you love dies. If we didn't feel sad, we'd be labeled as inhuman. But who is it that's telling us to feel that pain? No one. No one but ourselves.

The same goes for when something bad happens to either you or someone you know. No one tells us to feel rotten when we're rejected by the person we like or when we go through a breakup. Needles, razors, knives, surgeries, diseases, accidents. Why do those kinds of things make us feel as though we're in pain? Isn't the pain just all in my head?

Why should I ever feel broken and in pain if it's all in my head then? I found the answer to that question on my own. Feeling and acknowledging pain is what makes me human.

Maybe I'm crazy because I find some truth behind those words. Although, I'm sure I'll eventually contradict myself, as I always seem to do.


Side Note:
- Today was a Day 1. Day 1s suck. To pass the time, I think. End of story.

1 comment:

  1. I contradict myself a lot too. But I like to think that this contradiction, empathy and battle of ideas allows me to be a better write. Convey all emotions as I need to. So keep contradicting :)

    ReplyDelete