Saturday, October 19, 2013

Fateful Meetings

Do you believe in fateful meetings? That when you meet someone it's as though you were destined to meet them and cross paths? I don't know if I do. I wonder what it's like to have that kind of feeling though. Is it one of those feelings you have when you first meet someone or does it occur later on? How do you know that it's a fateful meeting? I wonder.

Today, I started watching a Jdrama called Last Friends. I've watched two episodes and if I had to describe it based on what I've watched, I'd describe it as heartbreaking and emotionally painful to watch; I can feeling myself breaking for the characters. The connections that the characters have right now are so tainted with inevitable sadness, heartbreak, and tragedy. I know it's just a Jdrama, but that doesn't make the feelings less real. Somewhere out there in the world, someone is experiencing or has experienced the pain that is present in Last Friends. Sure, the story isn't the same, but some variation of it has to exist. So far, in Last Friends, there have been two fateful meetings...proclaimed in the thoughts of two characters, of course. But as the story progresses, won't it all become a large fateful meeting? A tragic fateful meeting...

I really don't know if I'd describe any of my relationships as fateful meetings. I love the people in my life, but fateful is written nowhere. Is that wrong? I don't think that anyone I know believes that meeting me was fateful. I'd actually be surprised if anyone thought that. If fateful meetings really do exist, then I know that some of my friends have experienced at least one. Fateful meetings seem sad to me, it's as though there is no happy end in sight. That might just be the Jdrama getting to me though.



(Also, I totally have not been looking at the Wikipedia page for Last Friends. Nope, I don't know what happens to the characters in the end.

 ....yeah, I lied. I just read a spoiler. In a way, I guess it doesn't surprise me. At the same time though, even though I've read it, I'm still going to watch the show. I've got to see how this all plays out, I've got to see why these characters do the things that they do.)

Below is the theme song for Last Friends, which I will listen to on repeat until I become sick of it. Prisoner of Love by Utada Hikaru. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment